Sunday 28 August 2016

Learning Lua

It looks as though I may be working on a project using Lua and I thought it would be a good idea to start learning the language ahead of time. I know JavaScript and Red which like Lua are influenced, either directly or indirectly, by Scheme. I'm hoping my knowledge of them will help me in understanding both the concepts and philosophy of Lua.

The most common way of learning a new language, especially one with a command line interpreter, seems to be to experimenting with coding whilst reading or going through a tutorial. Once you've learnt the language, you go on to learn about its environment - modules (or packages), testing and the like. 

I'm going to adopt a different approach to learning Lua and try to use things  such as modules and testing from the outset. Over the next few months, we'll see how well it works for me.

No comments: